It's that time of year... for the Official Speakers Corner Mince Pie Tasting Competition 2016! (A competition between the mince pies, that is - not our team members).
We've tantalized our taste buds, we've judged with great discernment, and the results are in! (Thanks to a very nerdy Excel spreadsheet quickly pulled together the morning after our brilliantly fun Christmas party).
Up for judgment were 7 mince pies from popular supermarkets.
- M&S: 6 All Butter Mince Pies £1.80
- Iceland: 6 Luxury Mince Pies £1.50
- Sainsburys: 6 'Taste The Difference' All Butter Mince Pies £2.25
- Heston from Waitrose: 6 Spiced Shortcrust Mince Pies with a Lemon Twist £4.50 (Pack of 4 for £3)
- Tesco: 6 Mince Pies £1.50
- Morrisons: 6 Mince Pies £1.00
- Waitrose: 6 Gluten-Free Mince Pies £3.75 (Pack of 4 for £2.50)
The overall winner was... Sainsburys! A mince pie amongst mince pies, this delicious number triumphed in the 'Pastry', 'Filling' and 'Feeling of Fullness' categories. Congratulations!
However, they'll set you back £2.25 for 6, so if you're on a tighter budget this Christmas, Iceland is another fantastic option at only £1.50 as well delivering a winning 'Depth of Flavour' to your eating experience.
Meanwhile, Tesco, with its classically elegant form, won for 'Appearance' and Heston divided us all - the marmite of the mince pie world. So now you know.
Happy mince pie munching!
Copyright Speakers Corner 2017