Famed for its legendary customer service, Andrew McMillan’s role in defining the John Lewis brand has been key to its success today. As an engaging after dinner and keynote speaker, Andrew draws upon his three decades at the organisation to share insights as fundamental as the distinct customer experience he believes in.
Passionate about exemplary customer service, change management and leadership, Andrew McMillan creates an unwavering connection with every audience he addresses as an engaging keynote speaker.
After three decades at John Lewis, he was key to the legendary customer service which now defines its success.
Breaking the facts down to a theoretical level, Andrew promotes engagement as a vital differentiator: the whole team has to be brilliant with the customer, not just some, but all of the time. He emphasizes emotional difference as a key element that will set your company apart.
Andrew also discusses the importance of employee engagement when leading and managing change in organizations.
Andrew’s career began as a management trainee with the John Lewis Partnership at Brent Cross. Quickly moving up through the ranks, he led a number of selling teams in different branches, including the furniture floor in Oxford Street’s flagship store.
From there, he took the wheel of the department stores' customer-centric Intelligence Team, reporting on competitive strategy, product differentiation, and catchment area demographics for new ventures.
Andrew’s flair for business and branding was evident. Asked to lead on customer service for the department store division, the role saw him manage chain-wide customer complaints and develop JLP's market-leading customer-driven culture—now synonymous with the brand.
Having revolutionised the attitude of 20,000 customer-facing partners, Andrew decorated the walls of 26 John Lewis shops across the UK with awards from Which?, Verdict and Retail Week.
In addition to retail and finance, much of Andrew's work has been in the public sector. As well as helping a number of NHS Trusts to develop their patient experience (in line with the aspirations set out in Lord Darzi's NHS Next Stage Review final report), he has aided several local authorities to deliver a distinct and differentiated customer experience.
His speaking topics include:
- Developing a distinct and differentiated customer experience delivered through employees to define the brand
- Delivering enhanced customer service through organisational development
- Defining and shaping organisational culture
- Effective internal communications
- Fun at work to improve commercial success and productivity
- Leadership and customer service
- Selling though service and relationships
- Managing customer complaints to enhance reputation
For further information or to book Andrew McMillan, call us on +44 (0)20 7607 7070 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What people said about Andrew McMillan
- "Really hit the mark!"
- - AXA Corporate Solutions Assurance
- "Excellent, not only in his presentation but also in how easy it was to work with him. The content was precisely what we wanted!"
- - Sonova
- "Great - really easy to work with and extremely relevant content."
- - Northern Rail Ltd