Skipper of the first all-female crew to sail around the world, Tracy Edwards has vital leadership lessons to impart in her keynote speeches and training sessions. She is a successful entrepreneur and has become the definition of tenacity as she battled her way back from bankruptcy.
After sponsors of a sailing event failed to come up with money they owed her, Tracy was declared bankrupt, owing £8million. After moving out of her home, putting her sick mother into care and raising her daughter alone, she refused to give up, and seven years later she was back on top with a successful life coach business, helping adults and teenagers achieve their goals.
Tracy’s determination to succeed was her driving force. Despite being expelled from school at 15 with no qualifications, she completed a degree in psychology in her 40s, after her sailing career, and runs a thriving business.
Tracy embarked on her first Whitbread Round The World Race 1985-86 as a crewmember on Atlantic Privateer. She entered the Jules Verne Trophy in 1998, and completed the fastest circumnavigation around the world with no stopping and no outside assistance. In her role as Skipper for the Whitbread Round the World Race, she was the first woman to receive Yachtsman of the Year.
As a result, Tracy, the first woman to achieve acceptance by the British yachting community, was awarded Sportswoman of the Year and an MBE. Moreover, her book about the voyage stayed at number one on the best-seller list for 19 weeks.
Alongside writing and running her business, Tracy has presented numerous TV programmes and is a patron of numerous charities, including The Prince's Trust.
In 2003 she set up Quest International Sports Events after agreeing a £6 million deal with the crown prince of Qatar to create and run two round-the world races in a four-year £38million sailing programme.
A determined adventurer Tracy is the ideal speaker to share her motivational story and lessons of leadership on the corporate circuit.
For further information or to book Tracy Edwards MBE, call us on +44 (0)20 7607 7070 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What people said about Tracy Edwards
- "A very enthusiastic presentation highlighting the importance of teamwork some frank admissions of mistakes made the presentation very realistic."
- - Buchler Phillips Partners Conference
- "Tracy lively and somewhat irreverent leadership messages were brought alive by references to sailing, she made relevant and pointed comments, also lessons about leadership in practice. Thank you for your outstanding contribution to our HR workshop. The Team found you stimulating, the content fascinating and the messages highly relevant."
- - Human Resources Director - Whitbread Group
- "Relevant to what the team had learnt during the rest of the course, a very vivid illustration of great teamwork. Tracy passion for sailing is an inspiration; Very motivational."
- - Royal & SunAlliance - IT Team Building Course